Young Empowered Secondary Students (YESS)
About the program
YESS is an academic support and skill development program for students in and around Tripoli – Lebanon who have successfully moved to Grade 10 or Grade Twelve.
The program is divided into 2 separate programs:
- Students in Tripoli or nearby of any nationality (Lebanese, Syrian and Palestinian…)
- Students who successfully completed grade nine and are now in grade ten (G10 Program)
- Students who successfully completed grade eleven and are now in grade twelve (G12 Program)
- Commitment to attend all the additional learning experiences and workshops required by this program
This phase was divided into 7 days of academic support in three main subjects according to students’ specialization (general math, sciences, or socio-economics). The Spring School was delivered between 15 April 2022 and 26 April 2022.
Basic English Support Level 2
It’s an ongoing phase, 78 out of 94 students were enrolled. Participants were divided into 5 classes. They have taken 10 weeks of English support as follows, 2 days per week 2 hours per day, a total of 40 hours delivered.
This phase consisted of 11 days of academic support, from 28/December 2021 to 22/January/2022. The subjects that we covered were general maths, sciences, and socio-economics. A total of 44 hours of academic support was delivered during this phase.
Basic English Support
This phase started on the 15th of October. The curriculum of this phase was divided into 4 levels. The students of the first level participated in English classes. Students were attending 2 sessions per week, 2 hours per session, a total of 40 hours per level.
H2C (Health to Community) is a program that aims to engage students in their field of work. Participants undergo a series of trainings and form teams that tackle common health issues.
The four teams were:
- Fullmemory: tackled the problem of memory loss and forgetting a lot and how to face it
- هيّر لتغيّر: tackled the bad impact of deodorants on the skin and offered a natural substitute
- مَ شاعر: talked about emotional eating and how to overcome it
- بالصحة مافي عيب: talked about sexual health problems including blue balls, and the problem of pricy sanitary pads and how to make a cheaper healthy substitute.
This year, the awareness campaigns were given to the students of the “Young Empowered Secondary Students (YESS) Program”. Each team conducted a total of 5 awareness campaigns for 5 groups of students. YESS students participated in all awareness campaigns, 103 students attended the campaigns.
Summer Intensive School
The Summer School phase was based on 24 intensive days during the summer vacation. It was executed from 1/September/2021 till 24/September/2021. Each class took two to three subjects to learn according to requests filled in the registration form. Teachers were selected according to previous work experience with our association and according to directors’ recommendations. Students took 2 or 3 subjects from the following list:
A total of 108 students participated in the summer intensive school